Reverse Engineering / Surface ReconstructionIn reverse engineering or surface reconstruction data that have been acquired by 3D analysis are refined to CAD-files (NURBS-surfaces) and herewith made suitable for the processing in IGES-, VDA- or STEP formats.
In reverse engineering which basically means the process from an existing object back to its digital CAD data four types of surface reconstruction can be distinguished:
- Manual surface reconstruction
- Optimized surface reconstruction
- Analytical surface reconstruction
- Constructional surface reconstruction
General advantages of reverse engineering
- CAD-data (NURBS-surfaces) are easier to process than three-dimensional scan-data (triangular mesh).
- The numbers of surfaces as well as the data volume are significantly smaller after reverse engineering. (Typically around a thousandth part for number of surfaces and a tenth for data volume.)
- CAD-surfaces are transiting tangentially (C1-continuous) or curvature constant (C2-continuous).
- Changes of the geometrical can be carried out in every CAD system.